"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

~Robert Frost







Friday, March 2, 2012

Of being made perfect in weakness...

It was an evening of failure. Failure on my sweet girls' part to behave like sweet girls, as they instead fussed and whined and let petty arguments take hold between them. Even worse, failure on my part to intercede with compassion and gentleness, to lovingly correct and redirect them.

To say that I raised my voice would just be an attempt to pretty up the ugly fact that I yelled at my daughters, these three precious gifts God has given me to raise up in pursuit of Him.


Did they deserve it? Oh yes. As much as disobedience and stubborn selfishness ever could deserve anger.

As much as my selfish frustration and cruel lack of self control deserve the anger of God.


Pajamas on, teeth brushed, they stood before me. Unable to face putting them to bed with a mountain of hurt feelings and frustrations between us, in despair I could feel clearly how deep the unrest was in each of our hearts. I opened my arms to them -- and by the mercy of God, they came to me.

Such precious ones, clinging to me rather than turning from me.


We huddled together on the couch, and we prayed. I poured out my apologies to God and to my daughters, and as prayer bathed us all, I watched in wonder as little hands found each other and clasped tightly. Words of love were whispered, and gentle kisses pressed to sisters' cheeks.

God's forgiveness was poured out on us as we prayed together and reached out for each other, and it healed our brokenness.


It was an evening of failure. But it was also an evening of forgiveness, and of powerful love, and I am so very grateful for it.

"And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this Jen. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, whoever said that being a parent was easy? I might as well tell you that it does not get any easier as they get older either. Their problems just become bigger. It is the hardest job in the world, and yet the most satisfying one. Children deserve to be disciplined, they want and need boundaries so for that, you are to be commended. However, they also need to see that Mommy is human, makes mistakes and loses her temper but even more important is that you also showed them your love and compassion and asked for their forgiveness. That in itself was a huge lesson for them, and possibly for you. Keep it up, God disciplines us because He loves us too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read a post like this about once a week to remind me that I'm not alone. Thank you so much for your honestly.
    I'll share a bit of encouragement a friend shared with me last month. She's single, and was away at a counseling conference. She texted me out of the blue to thank me for apologizing to my children. She was hearing teaching that encouraged her that this was so right, and she was grateful for a real life example of that to stash away for her future days as a mother.
    So, I'll pass it on to you - Thank you, Jennifer, for apologizing to your girls. We all need this example

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read this on YLCF. Blessed.

    Thank you,
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete