"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

~Robert Frost







Saturday, February 2, 2013

Or a lion!

Ashley sat under the dining room table, all the chairs pulled out to allow her easier access, and halfheartedly pulled her whisk broom along the floor. Her faraway gaze was slightly sullen, as she let her thoughts settle on anything but the much disliked task before her, and I sighed at the realization that this seemed set to be a long, unpleasant experience for both of us.

Suddenly she paused and sat up straight, her whole body arrested by a new thought.

"Mummy!" She said breathlessly, "I just realized something!"

"The verse we just learned in church says that we should keep running the race that has been marked out for us," she explained. (Hebrews 12:1) "And I think that maybe that could be talking about things like sweeping, too! Like, this is the job I've been told to do, so I should keep doing it until it's all finished, and have a good attitude about it, like I'm running an exciting race. Right?!"

And I beamed at her, this sweet and clever little girl, and told her that she was absolutely right, and that I was very proud of her for thinking of that and for taking such a positive approach to her work. How mature she is! I thought to myself. How in tune with what she's learning about the Bible, and about living the way Jesus calls us to! And my mother's ego preened a little as I imagined sharing the moment with my mum later.

"Or...."

Ashley's face beamed up at me again as another thought occurred to her.

"Or I could pretend that a lion is going to eat me if I don't finish sweeping quickly!"

Oh. Well. Or you could do that, definitely. ;-) Goofy girl!

1 comment:

  1. lol such wisdom! lol If it helps her get the chore done, thats awesome. :)
    Reminds me of a conversation sarah and I had the other day, Me: My heart hurts because my friend died. S: My heart hurts too M: why? S: because my friend died too... M: what friend sweetie S: My friend in the circus...

    Oh.

    ReplyDelete