"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

~Robert Frost







Monday, March 22, 2010

Don't Step on My Foot!

I had a rough Monday. It was a discouraging and difficult day, both inside and outside myself. And it rained off and on all day so that even when the girls and I tried to go outside to play and cheer ourselves up, we were chased back in by dark clouds and cold spitting rain ten minutes later. I didn't realize how prophetic I was being when I joked just before breakfast this morning, "You know it's Monday when your two year old tells you, 'Mummy, I love you, but I really love stepping on your foot!'" *sigh* It has been very much a stepping-on-my-foot kind of day.

Today I've had physical limitations and weaknesses stepping on my foot. And some unbelievably unpleasant fussing and fighting amongst my offspring. Self-criticisms and fears and insecurities. And an orange juice spillage incident. My whole soul has been stepped on so much today that I feel bruised.

Fortunately, one of the biggest perpetrators when it comes to foot-stepping is also one of the biggest remedies for a day like this. My girls are so precious to me and so good at wringing a smile out of tears. And even when they go to bed still grumpy and difficult like they did tonight, I have pictures! Tonight I actually sat down at the computer after putting them to bed and spent half an hour browsing through pictures of their happy times, and feeling the warmth slowly creep back into my somewhat numb self. And because Hannah's pictures kept making me giggle, I decided to post a handful of them in case anyone else out there had a foot-stepping Monday like I did. May you smile, and relax, and sleep well, and have bruise free feet tomorrow!



2 comments:

  1. She is too cute!
    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having my own foot-stomped-on sort of day over here. I'm glad you were able to find the positive by bedtime! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete