"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

~Robert Frost







Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Dreaming of Buffalo...New York, that is!

Ladies and gent (I'm sorry, I don't have plural gents following my blog, so what am I supposed to say?), as you are no doubt aware, tomorrow is a very big day. It comes only once a year, beginning a season of great joy, following months of anticipation, speculation, and -- no, no, no, it's not Christmas, you silly ladies and gent. It's the first day of March Madness, of course!!

Anyone who knows me very well at all knows that I am a huge fan of Gonzaga basketball, and more or less college basketball in general. Yes, I am aware that some people find that strange. I guess I don't give off a "rabid college basketball fan" vibe. I've heard plenty of comments along the lines of, "Do you just put up with it so you can spend time with your husband during basketball season?" And, "Lamont is really lucky you don't mind watching with him." Heh. Heh heh heh. For those people, here is a little story.... I sent my mother into hysterical laughter while we were on the phone one day when one of the girls started crying and she heard me dealing with the situation.

Bethany: "Waaaahhhhhh!!!!"
Me: "Ashley, why did you push her over?!"
Ashley: "I was just trying to walk by and she stood in front of me!"
Me: "No, I saw what you did -- that was not a block, it was an offensive foul!"

Oh yes, I did really say that. It wasn't even basketball season at the time. I'm hard at work teaching the girls to love the sport as well. Ashley must have been barely two the first time she hollered at the tv, "Come on, get the rebound!", and even younger the first time she protested, "That was a foul!" And Hannah inspired herself on the toilet during potty training by cheering, "Here we go, Bulldogs, here we go!" Lamont is on the faculty at Gonzaga, so he can get two free tickets per game (presuming he wakes up around 4 and stands in line for two hours, which he is thankfully a dedicated enough fan to do), and Ashley, Hannah, and myself all hope for the honor of being his date to the games! Both the older girls can spell Gonzaga (this is where I admit sheepishly that Gonzaga was actually the first word either of them spelled, before even their own names), and if you ask either of them what they want to be when they grow up, I'm pretty sure they'd tell you they want to be Spike, the team mascot.

This year's NCAA college basketball tournament begins tomorrow, and our household is falling asleep tonight unreasonably but unapologetically excited about it. My Zags play their first round game on Friday in Buffalo, NY. I will be with them in spirit!

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog Jen! Just so you know yes I do read it :) So keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete