"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

~Robert Frost







Wednesday, November 14, 2012

E is for energy...

E (blessings that start with this letter)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

I am so incredibly grateful for the energy God has given me throughout this year! 

That seems so funny to say right now, while I am sipping decaf coffee with the "decaf" label turned away from me in an attempt to trick my mind into thinking it's the real deal, because I am SO TIRED. It seems strange to rejoice over having had so much energy this year, when I spent so many countless hours lying sick and exhausted on the couch during my pregnancy with Katelyn, and when the girls have gotten up before me in the morning at least 85% of this year. It seems odd to claim that I've been energized, when I've had to set my own schooling aside for the last 11 months because I just didn't have enough energy to go around. Yes, I have been tired this year and very drained, physically and emotionally.

But I have had enough energy. 

Somehow despite all the exhaustion (because that's another "E" word that can definitely apply to 2012!), there has also always been enough energy not just to survive, but to really love life with my family this year. And that feels like such a precious gift. We spent the beginning of the year playing in the snow for hours on end, and curling up together in the evenings to play games or watch movies or read together. And I got to play a couple of small roles in a fun production of The Chalk Garden, and somehow managed to suck in my far-too-quickly-expanding baby belly until the very last show to fit into my costumes! 
They basically thought it would be a good idea if we could just build an igloo and live outside all winter, so they'd never have to leave the snow.

*love* (I don't have a lot of pictures of myself with the girls -- thank you to my friend Kayley for snapping this one when I wasn't looking!)

Master Uno strategists!

The spring and summer was filled with so much traveling, including my first trip to Vegas when I accompanied Lamont on a business trip and caught the Zags (both men and women) playing in championship games of the WCC conference! (It's basketball, people. You don't have to think it's exciting, but I do!) Lamont had to travel a lot for work over the summer, so the girls and I came up with a lot of adventures to keep us busy while he was gone. And then there was my brother-in-law's wedding, and all five of us were in the wedding party. Yes, you read that right, and yes, it was slightly insane. ;-) The "quiet", every day times of the summer were spent almost entirely outside -- at the park, the lake, up at my parents' acreage, or out on biking/running trails as a family. I got the best tan of my life so far this year!
Hot summer day at the zoo + ice cream = pretty much perfection.

Pretty flower girls playing on my phone to help them stay still before the wedding!

Oh yes, and this. T-ball provided us with a lot of beautiful summer evenings, plus some of the biggest smiles around!

In the fall, of course, Katelyn arrived, and all the fun flurry of family and friends visiting that a newborn creates. And we started homeschooling in earnest, with the girls in preschool, kindergarten, and first grade. Lamont started teaching four days a week at Gonzaga again, and basically life continues to be unbelievably busy.

Baby!!!

And through all of this beautiful craziness, I have been aware of an equally beautiful energy that is more than I am, that has enabled me to truly enjoy this giggle soaked season of life with my family. I thank God for always giving me enough -- sometimes no more than just enough, but always enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment