"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

~Robert Frost







Monday, November 7, 2011

Operation Christmas Child is a success at our house!

Last week the girls and I packed their first Operation Christmas Child box. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, go here: www.samaritanspurse.org/occ -- you'll be glad you did!) First we went through their toys/crafts looking for anything that was brand new or in perfect condition. We ended up with only two things we could send -- a little green teddy bear that has apparently never been snuggled (sad! glad that will be remedied!) and a little set of bracelets that looked brand new -- but I was so blessed by their attitudes as we looked through their things. They not only wanted to send pretty much everything they have to the little girl who will get their box, but they specifically targeted their favorite toys and most loved snugglies. Willing and eager to give away their favorite things...I'm so proud of these girlies!


Yesterday we took the box to church with us, and ever since we left it there Bethany has been frequently asking me, "Does the little girl have her Christmas box yet?" I am so excited that there is now an option to "follow your box" online, and can't wait to get the email telling us where our box went so that the girls and I can learn all about the country where their little girl lives.

They had so much fun with it and really internalized the joy of giving what we have to others. They also wanted to do much more than one box -- next year they'll each do their own!


3 comments:

  1. what a neat project for you to do! Your girls look like they had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very fun! The kids are putting their boxes together this week :) Check out this very cool story: (I think you'll love it!) http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2011/11/operation-christmas-child-meryls-story.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the link, Josie! What a neat, neat story. :)

    ReplyDelete