"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

~Robert Frost







Wednesday, April 21, 2010

On Being Without My Man

This week, the girls and I are fending for ourselves -- Lamont is in New Orleans for a conference. His flight left Monday at 6 am, so I had to kiss him goodbye at 4:30. *sniff* *sniff* And I've been realizing since then that this amazing man of mine has four girls who absolutely adore him, and feel his absence very keenly! There is a definite shift of energy in the house as we approach dinnertime and the time of day when he usually arrives home from work. A tinge of anticipation colors the air, to be slowly replaced by disappointment (and crankiness!) as dinnertime gives way to evening, and finally to bedtime, and Daddy still hasn't walked through the door. Honestly, there's been a lot of extra crankiness. Grrr. I try to offset it by extra cheerfulness on my part with the girls, and lots of fun activities to keep us busy, but I can feel how much they miss him with their little girl confusion about why life just doesn't seem as happily in order right now.

We have been staying very busy, partly with a big project that I've done which will be a surprise for Lamont. I would put pictures on here, or at least tell you about it, but he might read this! So you'll have to wait.... :-) And beautiful weather has contributed to fun activities that make the time pass more quickly. We've been outside every day for hours!

At the end of the day, though, I really miss my best friend to cuddle and laugh with as we talk about the day. And a king size bed is ridiculously huge to sleep in by myself. I miss him listening to my rambling thoughts at 11:30 pm, and laughing at me when I interrupt myself because I'm too caught up in what I'm saying to finish one thought before I go on to the next -- and knowing what I was going to say anyway, so he can still follow me. Lamont makes me stronger by letting me borrow his strength, and more patient by helping me see through other people's eyes what I get too worked up to see through my own. Our whole home is happier when he's home. I can't wait to get back to evenings of piercing shrieks and giggles as little girls are chased through the house and tossed into the air by their knight in shining armor, who brightens their days and their smiles with extra fun and energy and cuddles. We miss you, babe!

1 comment:

  1. How reminiscent, how beautiful, how touching. Thank you for sharing. - Jean

    ReplyDelete