"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

~Robert Frost







Monday, February 28, 2011

Darlings at the dentist!

My girls had a new experience today, their first real visit to the dentist. And before you all start jumping to say how nearly criminal it is that I, a former dental assistant, could allow so many years to go by before taking my children to the dentist -- I know, I know! I could submit that perhaps the very fact that I am a former dental assistant qualifies me to provide unsupported dental care for them at home longer than most moms should.... (Or maybe I was just afraid of taking them all to the dentist by myself.)

Yeah. I do a lot of things with them by myself, obviously. I'm pretty sure God meant to build me with an extra hand, and he just forgot. It would have been helpful if he had remembered! The #1 comment I hear when the girls and I go out somewhere is overwhelmingly, "Wow, you have your hands full!" And though I'm blessed that our girls are growing up to be sweet and (generally!) well-behaved, it is true. My hands are usually very, very full. So you would think that taking them to the dentist wouldn't be too intimidating, right? I'm not sure why it was so very intimidating; I take all three of them to the doctor by myself, but somehow the dentist seemed less feasible.

Naturally, the day I finally took a deep breath and a deep swallow of my peppermint latte, and bravely sallied forth to the dentist with my hands full, we were in the midst of one of the biggest snowstorms we've had this winter. (In the last three days, we've gained two full feet of snow...and counting.) However, I could not have been more blessed by my girlies...they were eager for their appointments, quiet in the waiting room, sweet to the hygienist...ahhhh! One of those experiences when everyone is complimenting your children and it is more incredibly delightful than any compliment ever given directly to you. Such a joy!

Disclaimer: I don't have any pictures of Ashley because she went back all by herself. And she totally didn't need me with her. I could hear her sweet little voice chattering away as I waited with the other two girls, and I am so delighted at the person that my previously afraid-to-do-anything-remotely-new little girl is becoming. I did get fun pictures of the other girls....


Yep, she's pretty much a rockstar! She didn't love the cleaning part, but she was pretty fond of all the rest of the experience, so she hung in there.

Bethany was loving the sunglasses....


...but when it was time to lie back, she crossed her little arms and did.not.move. until she got to sit up again. It was kind of hilarious.


Yay for sparkling smiles and good new experiences, and for having my hands full with such precious girls!

3 comments:

  1. D'aww! Poor girlies! I wasn't/am not nearly as brave as them. hehe They are just *so* cwoool. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahaha! So, did they every actually clean Bethany's teeth? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, no they didn't! They weren't planning on it because she's still so little, but if they had wanted to...yeah, that wouldn't have happened. ;-)

    ReplyDelete