"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

~Robert Frost







Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mission accomplished!

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!"

This anonymous quote perfectly applies to my experiment of 8 days without coffee. I really, really enjoy my coffee (I know, you're shocked!) and I honestly wasn't sure how it would go. Would I actually have the self control to stick to it, and not drink coffee for that long? Would I manage to do it, but be miserable the entire time? Would I make the people around me miserable the entire time??

Well folks...I did it! And while I cannot answer for the people around me, I really wasn't all that miserable. My first day was tough -- headaches and grumpiness abounded. (And actually, while Lamont was safely in Spokane that day, my friend Becky did have to deal with my grumpy, coffee-deprived self...she did it very graciously!) But by mid-day on the second day my headache was actually gone, and it never returned.

The craving lingered a little longer, but by the third day, even that was gone. I spent the remainder of my 8 days missing coffee, yes, but not feeling a particular need for it. Miracles do exist! This morning I joyfully celebrated the successful completion of my self-assigned project.
The tools of my trade....


Ah, the delightful brew!

And...beautiful peppermint latte perfection!!

This has been a good experience for me, and it was really eye opening to see how perfectly fine I was without daily coffee. And it didn't hurt that I lost two pounds, as well.... My stated goal for this exercise was to break my bond to coffee, and to keep my intake down in the future, seeing it more as a treat a few times a week than a daily necessity. I am so delighted that it has been a resounding success!
And though Lamont laughed when I told him I was writing this follow up blog post, and said that he didn't think you all were waiting with baited breath for my update and results...I knew you really were. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Well, of course we were waiting with baited breath. ;)

    Coffee is so hard to let go of this winter ~ it's just so warm and comforting! *sniffles* You're like my hero.

    ReplyDelete